ALAPTA Events & Conferences
Who Should Attend:
- People between the ages of 14-25 who were born with or acquired a disability
- Caregivers of people between the ages of 14-25 who were born with or acquired a disability
- Healthcare Providers (OT, PT, COTA, PTAs, PT/OT/PTA/COTA Students) who work with people with disabilities in this age group
When: Feb 22, 2020 Registration: 8:00-8:30 am; Event 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Where: ADRS – 201 London Parkway, Suite 450, Birmingham, AL 35211
Cost: Free to Those with Disabilities and Caregivers
Healthcare Providers: $125 – A certificate From ALAPTA for 7 Contact Hours (8.4 CEUs for AL PT/PTA Licensees) will be Provided
Student Healthcare Providers: $25
INDIVIDUALS AGED 14-25 WHO WERE BORN WITH OR AQUIRED A DISABILITY AND CAREGIVERS OF THESE INDIVIDUALS
Are you the one with the disability facing this adjustment to adulthood or have a family member who is? We have information for you to help with long term planning and resources. Come and hear from medical staff, social workers, vocational rehab, therapists and more. Opportunities to visit with many types of services will be offered at booths and breakout sessions. Lunch is provided.
- Transitioning in the Education System, Work or Entering College
- Driving and Adapted Vehicles
- Financial Planning
- Getting Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Attendant Care
- My child has severe cognitive and functional impairments and is growing up and I’m growing older…and MORE…
Objectives for Attendees:
- Attendees will gain knowledge on the right medical and nursing questions to ask in the transition to adulthood with a disability.
- Attendees will gain community resources on various topics such as housing, adapted vehicles, work/college considerations and assistance with care.
- Attendees will receive instruction on how to advocate for themselves or loved one and get information on insurance/financial considerations when approaching adulthood.
HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS AND STUDENT HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
If you work with people between the ages of 14-25 with long-term disabilities, it can be difficult to know all of the resources your client needs to get ready for the adult phase of life. Come and hear from medical staff, social workers, vocational rehab, therapists and more. Opportunities to visit with many types of services will be offered at booths and breakout sessions. There is a special Healthcare Provider/Student Healthcare Provider breakout session from 12-1 pm. Lunch is provided.
Objectives for Healthcare Providers and Student Healthcare Providers:
- Healthcare providers will describe the difference between therapy goals for pediatrics vs adults with long-term disabilities.
- Healthcare providers will describe at least 3 differences between what is covered for wheelchairs and seating for pediatrics vs. adults with long-term disabilities.
- Healthcare providers will identify resources for transitioning from Children’s Rehab Services to Alabama Dept. of Rehab services and programs available.
8:30-9:20 am Medical/Nursing
9:30-10:15 am PT/OT – Seating/Wheelchairs
10:15-11:00 am ADRS/CRS
11:00 am-1:00 pm Walkabout Lunch – Booths, Vans, Wheelchair Vendors, Home Mods
12:00-1:00 pm Healthcare Providers/Student Healthcare Providers Only – How to Make the Most of Transition Clinics and Resources
1:00-2:30 pm Severely/Profoundly Involved
Group Homes, LTC, Waiver Programs, Respite Care, Caregiver to Caregiver Time
1:00-2:30 pm Lakeshore Foundation, Colleges, Advocacy, Housing, Peer to Peer Time
2:30-3:00 pm Social Work: Financial, Disability Rights, Resources
3:00-4:00 pm Consumer Panel
4:00-4:30 pm Wrap Up and Evaluations
Join PT and PTA Students from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee on Feb. 29, 2020, for engaging sessions on specialty topics, a career fair, and networking!
Click the button below to register online.
APTA STUDENT MEMBER – $15
STUDENT NON-MEMBER – $25
(Registration Fee goes up $10 after Jan. 24.)
Reserve your space by clicking the button below. Booths are assigned by registration order, and limited space is available. Registration Deadline: Feb. 1, 2020.